10 Bills passed in Parliament on 13 December 2022
The House yesterday passed 10 bills on this meeting’s agenda by going through the committee and reporting stages and finally the third readings. They now await presentation to the Governor for assent before becoming acts.
The bills are the:
- Identification Register Bill, 2022;
- Cayman Islands Identification Card Bill, 2022
- Music and Dancing (Control) (Amendment) Bill, 2022 – all three bills were moved by the Ministry for International Trade, Investment, Aviation and Maritime Affairs Hon. André Ebanks;
- National Roads Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2022 – moved by Minister for Planning, Agriculture, Housing and Infrastructure, Hon. Johany Ebanks;
- Utility Regulation and Competition (Amendment) Bill, 2022; and
- Customs and Border Control (Amendment) Bill, 2022 – both were moved by the Deputy Premier, Hon. Chris Saunders;
- Criminal Justice (Offenders Assisting Investigations and Prosecutions) Bill, 2022;
- Contempt of Court Bill, 2022;
- Penal Code (Amendment) Bill, 2022; and
- Anti-Corruption (Amendment) Bill, 2022 – all four bills were moved by the Attorney General, Hon. Samuel Bulgin, KC.
Three bills received amendments during the committee stage of the proceedings: The Identification Register; Cayman Islands Identification Card Bill and the Customs and Border Control (Amendment) Bill, 2022.
(The second readings of the Supplementary Appropriation (January 2020 to December 2020) Bill, 2022 and Supplementary Appropriation (January 2021 to December 2021) Bill, 2022 were approved on Monday. These two bills will be dealt with in Finance Committee on Thursday, then reported on to the House and before being moved for their third readings.)
Proceedings also included the tabling of 10 reports including four by Minister for Tourism and Transport, Hon. Kenneth Bryan for Cayman Airways Limited, the Cayman Islands Tourism Attraction Board and Port Authority Cayman Islands. Minister Bryan also gave a report about his Ministry for this year.
The House adjourned to return Thursday morning to Finance Committee at 9 am.
To watch Wednesday’s proceedings, visit:
Fourth Sitting of the Second Meeting of the 2022-2023 Parliament Session Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjAdG1JIg8
Fourth Sitting of the Second Meeting of the 2022-2023 Parliament Session | Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQAoGWkmznE
Explore further information: Read highlights of the business undertaken in the Second Meeting of the 2022-2023 Parliamentary Session at www.gov.ky/government-in-parliament.
How to follow: Watch live broadcasts of sittings on CIG YouTube and CIGTV (Logic – Channel 23, C3 – Channel 3, Flow – Channel 106)
Issued by: Cayman Islands Government (CIG)