Chamber Earth Day cleanup seeks volunteers
Persons of all ages are invited to participate in this year’s Chamber of Commerce Earth Day cleanup which takes place on Saturday, 23rd April. Registration is free and the first 2,000 persons who register online will receive a custom designed Guy Harvey t-shirt and a reusable tote bag while supplies last. Businesses, community groups and schools are encouraged to organize teams and to select a location for the cleanup.
‘’Keeping our islands clean and green is everyone’s responsibility,’’ says Chamber CEO Wil Pineau. ‘’We are encouraging all residents who care about the environment and want to make a difference in their communities to take a few hours of their time to remove litter from our streets and communities.
The Chamber has organized this annual community cleanup along with corporate and community partners for more than 22 years. The event has also been used to share educational information about sustainable environmental and business practices for more than 22 years. This year the Chamber will launch a social media campaign on its channels beginning on Sunday, 17th April until Saturday, 23rd April. The campaign will include practical tips on reducing your carbon footprint as well as preserving and protecting the marine and natural environments. Reducing, reusing, and recycling will also feature in the campaign.
Following the cleanup, a brunch for registered volunteers will take place at Coral Beach. The brunch is sponsored RBC, Corona Extra, and Coral Beach. For the first time the Chamber is partnering with Corona Extra to organize a plastic weigh in station. Individuals over 18 years of age can turn in plastic items collected during the cleanup in recyclable bags in exchange for redeemable coupons for Corona products at Blackbeard’s Eastern Avenue store. Corona became the first global beverage brand to achieve a net zero plastic footprint globally in June 2021.
This year’s cleanup is supported by the following corporate partners:
- Major sponsors: Cayman National, Davenport Development
- Event sponsor: Blackbeard’s/Corona Extra, Coral Beach and RBC
- Promotional sponsor: Digicel
- Tote bag sponsors: Cayman First Insurance Company Limited, Cayman Water Company, Dart, Fosters, Kensington Management Group Ltd, Rawlinson & Hunter, Rotary Club of Grand Cayman, Walkers, and Water Authority – Cayman
- Kids and Adults T-shirt Sponsors: Aquilae Consulting Group, Boddens, Butterfield, Carey Olsen, CG BritCay, Cost-U-Less, NCB (Cayman) Ltd., and Suntera Global
- Adults T-shirt Sponsors: Caribbean Utilities Company, Ltd. Cayman Turtle Conservation and Education Centre, Island Waste Carriers, Knighthead Annuity & Life Assurance Company, LJM Energy Ltd., Marsh, Nassau Financial Group, NCB Group, Public Service Pension Board and Vanguard Risk Solutions