Intro to Microsoft Word Training
Via Zoom – From the convenience of your desk or the comfort of your living room
This Introduction to Microsoft Word training class is designed for persons new to working with Microsoft Word on Windows or who have very minimal knowledge of the basic functions of this software. You will learn to create, edit, format, and print Microsoft Word documents.
At the end of this course you will be able to demonstrate your knowledge and skills in these areas:
- Creating a Microsoft Word Document
- Importing a File
- The Status Bar
- The Ribbon – Tabs, Groups
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Introduction to the Backstage View
- New Documents and Word Templates
- Configuring Documents to Print
- Formatting Microsoft Word Documents
- Changing Fonts
- Change Text to WordArt
- Working with Lists
- Bullets and numbering
- Inserting a Hyperlink in a Document
- Using Styles
- Changing Document Style Sets
- Setting Margins
- Editing Documents
- Find and Replace
- Using the Clipboard
- Copying and Pasting Text
- Finalizing Microsoft Word Documents
- Adding Page Numbers
- Headers and Footers
- Checking Spelling and Grammar
Important course requirement:
- All participants must have access to a computer to follow and to practice during the session. Access to a second computer screen during the session is ideal but not essential to participation in the course.
CANCELLATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED IN WRITING 72 HOURS PRIOR TO THE COURSE IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A REFUND. NO SHOWS WILL BE CHARGED THE FULL AMOUNT
INSTRUCTOR – Allison Smith
llison Smith earned a B. Sc. in Computer Science (2001), D. Ed. in Science (2002) and M. Ed. in Administration (2011) while attending the University of the West Indies. She has taught Computing, Science and Mathematics in secondary schools for almost 20 years. Allison is currently, the head of the computing faculty, the supervisor of teacher substitution, student reports and school timetables as well as the robotics coach in the Cayman Prep and High School.
Allison introduced Robotics to the CPHS students in 2010. Her robotics program started with 14 KS3 students but, with the aid of a Joanna Clarke Excellence in Education grant (2012) and Dart sponsorship (2018), the program currently cates for over 150 students in KS3, KS4 & KS5. Robotics is a key component in the Computing curriculum offered in Cayman Prep and High School and is extended into their afterschool club. Allison is one of the Technical Mentor for the National Robotics team. She has been awarded FIRST Lego League Mentor of the Year twice, first in 2012 and then in 2019. Allison continues to promote STEM in both private and public schools through the incorporation of Robotics in our schools’ curriculum.
Allison believes that emerging technologies, such as educational technology, information technology, robotics, and artificial intelligence are advancing at a rapid pace. Therefore, no matter how people choose to spend their time, there needs to be ways for them to live fulfilling lives during this technological revolution. This belief fuels her motivation to equip persons in her community with the technological skills that they need to live their best lives. Her motto is “The future is now”.
Special Notes for Registrants:
- You must pay for this course before you can receive the Zoom link and password to attend the session/s.
- If you are registering multiple persons for this course, please ensure that you insert a separate email address for each person, or otherwise make suitable arrangements for each course participant to access the Zoom invitation link (which will be sent via the email/s provided) and to join the session from a computer.
Technical Requirements for participating in this course via Zoom:
Please note that you will need to have Zoom installed on your device prior to joining the session. You can set this up ahead of time by following the steps here or by joining the class early and clicking on the invite link, which will prompt you to install the application if it’s not already on your device. There will be no “dial-in” access, so please be prepared to join via your web browser and have your audio, microphone and video settings configured. Both video and audio participation are mandatory for this course.
Remote Participation Guidelines
- Please be mindful of noise in your surroundings when attending the session.
- When connecting to the Zoom session, your Zoom username should clearly state your first and last name.
- Depending on the Instructor’s preference, the host may or may not mute your microphone by default. If your microphone is muted by default, the host will unmute it when you indicate you wish to ask a question or make a comment or when you are invited by the facilitator to make a contribution.
- If you wish to make an intervention during the session, you simply need to click on the “raise hand” symbol at the bottom of your screen. Once the host indicates the moment you can intervene, he/she will unmute your microphone (if it is muted) and display your image on screen.
|Event Item Name||Expires||Pricing|
|Supporting Businesses & Individuals Through Virtual/Online Training – Introduction to Microsoft Word Training – 11 & 14 September 2020 – Member||Sep 11, 2020||
|Supporting Businesses & Individuals Through Virtual/Online Training – Introduction to Microsoft Word Training – 11 & 14 September 2020 – Future Member||Sep 11, 2020||