Hurricane Alert Issued for the Cayman Islands
The Government of the Cayman Islands has issued a Hurricane Alert for the Cayman Islands.
A hurricane alert means that the Cayman Islands could begin experiencing tropical storm/hurricane conditions within the next 72hours.
At 10am, the centre of Tropical Depression 9 was located near latitude 14.2 ° north and longitude 70.1° west. This puts it at 825 miles east-south-east of the Cayman Islands.
The system is moving west northwest at near 14 miles per hour, with maximum sustained winds near 35 miles per hour.
“The Cayman Islands Government has issued a Hurricane Alert based on the likelihood of rapid intensification of Tropical Depression Nine,” said Mr. Panton. “I encourage the Cayman Islands public to finalise your emergency plans and gather all necessary supplies as soon as possible. Plan to stay off of the roads from Sunday afternoon as weather conditions start to deteriorate.”
During this phase of threat, the public is advised to do the following:
- Check emergency supplies and items for securing your home.
- Stock up on essential items and non-perishables
- Assess your home and make necessary repairs to roofs, etc.
- Remove overhanging limbs and fruit from trees.
- Decide whether you need to stay with friends or relatives or go to a shelter.
- Find out which shelter is closest to you and decide how you will get there if you need to.
- Persons with severe medical conditions should contact their physician to determine best course of action.
- Check that your generator is in good working order, and ensure you have oil and extra gasoline
- Make arrangements for your pets in case you have to go to a shelter.
- Fill vehicles with gasoline and, if necessary, withdraw some cash from the bank.
- Secure all construction sites and materials
- Boat owners are encouraged to be proactive, and heed storm warnings, avoid the water and coastal waterways and start making preparations
Issued by: Cayman Islands Government (CIG)