New Covid-19 Regulations Issued
Amendments to COVID-19 regulations, which were Gazetted on Friday, 14 May 2021, came into effect immediately, and will continue through 15 July 2021
The principal changes in the new Covid-19 Regulations relate to the removal of pre-flight PCR testing for returning residents who are travelling back to the Cayman Islands and were vaccinated by the Health Services Authority (HSA); the exemption of emergency shelters from the 500-person gathering limit when the premises are being used as an emergency shelter; and, the removal of prohibitions around carnival-related social events, while continuing the prohibition of parades, including carnival parades.
These changes are as follows:
Control of COVID-19 (No. 2) Regulations, 2021
- Amendment to Regulation 4 removed the requirement for SARS-CoV-2 PCR testing prior to boarding a plane to the Cayman Islands. This applies only if the traveller has completed a full course of vaccination by the HSA against the COVID-19 disease at least two weeks before boarding.
Prevention, Control and Suppression of COVID-19 (No. 2) Regulations, 2021
- Amendments to Regulations 2 and 3 permit emergency shelters to have over 500 persons indoors only in circumstances where the premises are being used as an emergency shelter in the event of a threat of a disaster or the aftermath of a disaster.
- Changes to Regulation 4 lifted the prohibition of parties, stage shows, concerts and other social activities related to parades. Parades, including carnival parades, are still prohibited, regardless of location and the number of persons participating, and require the express approval of the Cabinet via regulation to occur.
- The Prevention, Control and Suppression of COVID-19 (No. 2) Regulations, 2021 and the Prevention, Control and Suppression of COVID-19 (Travel and Boating) Regulations, 2021 expire on 15 July, 2021; however, Cabinet will continue to determine what public health measures are necessary, including after 15 July, 2021, and may continue to amend the regulations and/or extend these restrictions as long as required.
The updated regulations can be found at:
- Control of Covid-19 (No. 2) Regulations, 2021 http://gazettes.gov.ky/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/13078560.PDF ;
- Prevention, Control and Suppression of Covid-19 (Partial Lifting of Restrictions) (Travel and Boating) Regulations, 2021 http://gazettes.gov.ky/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/13078570.PDF ; and
- Prevention, Control and Suppression of Covid-19 (No. 2) Regulations, 2021 http://gazettes.gov.ky/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/13078571.PDF